Police: Shooting was self defense, woman released

(WDTN Photo)

MIAMI TOWNSHIP, Ohio (WDTN) – The Miami Township Police held a news conference to discuss the shooting at the Dayton Mall Monday.

Police said the shooting has been ruled self-defense and the woman has been released. The man involved in the case was taken to the hospital but investigators say that man left his hospital sometime overnight and is believed to possibly be in Michigan.

The investigation will continue, according to police, to determine if the man should be charged with assault and kidnapping. Police say they are not searching for him yet but are still putting the case together. The case will be presented to a grand jury and if an indictment is secured, an arrest warrant for the man will be sought.

As of Monday night, police were not releasing the names of the people being questioned, but we do know the man and woman were a couple. A 911 caller reported seeing the man beating his girlfriend, who then started shooting the man, hitting him in the leg.

“We heard five shots go off,” Jay Day said who witnessed the shooting. “So, of course, we took off running.”

Shoppers ran for safety Monday outside the Dayton Mall after police say a woman opened fire on her boyfriend near their RV camper in the Sear’s parking lot.

Dispatch: “911, what’s the address of your emergency?”
Caller: “Yeah, I’m at the Dayton Mall and there’s a man beating a woman.”

Seconds later, the caller watched as the woman opened fire.

Caller: “He was, he was hitting her. Oh, she just shot him. Oh my gosh. Yes, she’s shooting at him. Yeah, you gotta send somebody like right away.”

According to police, the woman shot at her boyfriend 10 to 15 times. He was hit in the leg. Police say the couple is from out of state, and stopped to get supplies. They aren’t sure what sparked the fight.

“From what we can tell right now. We may end up having charges on both of them,” Miami Township Police Department Sgt. Paul Nienhaus said. “There are witnesses who corroborate stories together. Their stories would indicate there was some sort of assault by the male on the female.”

Police say the woman is currently in custody, likely to face charges. The man is recovering in the hospital and could also face charges.

“It’s just a bad situation,” Day said. “As soon as she heard the police sirens, before they were even on the property, she was laying on the ground with her hands over her head.”

The man is expected to be okay. We reached out to Sears for comment. We’re still waiting to hear back.

2 NEWS will continue to follow this story and keep you updated as we learn more.

WDTN.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s