Boy burned by gasoline at Greenville home

Careflight helicopter. (WDTN Photo/Paul Rodzinka)
CareFlight called to scene in Clark Co. (WDTN Photo/Paul Rodzinka)

GREENVILLE, Ohio (WDTN) — A 2-year-old boy is listed in good condition after being burned at a bonfire in Darke County.

The Darke County Sheriff’s Office says a man was having a bonfire at his house in the 8200 block of Knisely Road in Greenville around 10:45 p.m. on Sunday night.

Authorities say the man poured gasoline on the fire while starting it, and the fire quickly spread to the container he was holding. The man tried to turn and throw the container away.

As he turned, authorities say the man tripped over a 2-year-old boy, spilling gasoline on the child. The gasoline caught fire on the child, burning the boy’s face and hands.

The man was able to put out the fire before medics arrived. The child was taken to the Darke County Sheriff’s Office, then transferred to CareFlight, where he was taken to Dayton Children’s Hospital. The boy is listed in good condition.

No arrests have been made. The incident remains under investigation. provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s