Family of Sam Dubose, killed by university cop calling for justice

The Dubose family speaks out about the second trial of Ray Tensing.

The family of Sam DuBose spoke out Tuesday, declaring their desire for a third trial for the ex-cop Ray Tensing.

A mistrial has been declared twice in the murder and voluntary manslaughter case of Ray Tensing, who was a University of Cincinnati police officer when he shot Sam DuBose during a 2015 traffic stop.

Terina Allen, the eldest sister of DuBose, said the family has been in communication with Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters, asking him to retry the case.

Allen called Judge Leslie Ghiz’s courtroom a “hostile environment,” and said she believes Ghiz “worked overtime to prevent justice” for her brother.

Deters hasn’t said whether he’ll try the case for a third time, but he plans to comment during the week of July 10. Ghiz scheduled a July 24 meeting with attorneys on both sides in the case.

Full press conference: Family of Sam DuBose speaks out on Tensing mistrial

Tensing’s attorney, Stewart Mathews, said he has been told that a majority of second-trial jurors voted to acquit on both charges. He declined Tuesday to comment further, saying he will wait to hear what Deters has to say.

After the first trial in November, Deters said a solid majority of jurors wanted to convict Tensing of voluntary manslaughter and that he continued to believe the shooting was a murder.

Tensing, 27, shot DuBose, 43, after pulling him over for a missing front license plate. Tensing testified he feared for his life as DuBose drove away while his arm was pinned inside the car.

The case is among several across the United States that have brought attention to how police deal with black people, and also to the challenges prosecutors face in gaining convictions against police for on-duty shootings.

Some veteran attorneys have said prosecutors should have brought lesser charges against Tensing. During the second trial, prosecutors asked Ghiz to allow jurors to consider the lesser charge of reckless homicide. She rejected the request, saying prosecutors could have brought that before trial.

Deters also said after the first trial that he wanted the case moved away from intense local attention, but Ghiz said it should stay in Cincinnati. provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s