WDTN.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.
DAYTON, Ohio – The University of Dayton men’s basketball team used a second-half surge to claim a 73-60 victory over the Akron Zips Saturday night at UD Arena.
Dayton improved to 3-2 overall, despite only playing three upperclassmen and four freshmen due to injuries vs. Akron. The Flyers dealt the Zips (2-1) their first loss of the season.
• Dayton trailed 37-32 at the half.
• Akron started the game with a 7-0 run. The Flyers fought back with an 11-2 run and took an 11-9 lead with 13:17 remaining in the half. UD led by as many as five at the 3:27 mark of the first half but the Zips used a 10-0 run to lead 37-29. UD’s Matej Svoboda knocked down a trey with 18 seconds left for the halftime score of 37-32.
• Josh Cunningham and Kostas Antetokounmpo led UD with nine points each at the half.
• Dayton shot 48.1 percent in the first half, but only 25 percent from three-point range. The Flyers also had seven turnovers in the first half.
• The Flyers started the second half with a 13-0 run. It started with a dunk by Antetokounmpo. That was followed by back-to-back-to-back three pointers by Darrell Davis, Jordan Davis, and Darrell Davis, and another jumper by Jordan Davis to give UD a 45-37 lead at the 16:25 mark of the second half. The Flyers took the lead for good at the 17:41 mark (Jordan Davis three-pointer).
• Dayton led 66-50, at the 6:14 minute mark of the second half. The Flyers used a 10-0 run culminating with back-to-back dunks, and a tip-in by Cunningham. Dayton owned its largest lead of the game, 71-54 at the 3:29 mark after an and-one play by Cunningham.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• Several Flyers had career highs in the game: Jalen Crutcher had a career-high eight assists and three steals. Svoboda had a career-high nine points and four rebounds, as well as minutes played (25). Jordan Davis had a career-high 14 points. Antetokounmpo had a career-high 12 points.
• Both Darrell Davis and Jordan Davis scored 12 points in the second half.
• The Flyers scored 30 points in the paint, including five dunks, and also had 15 fastbreak points.
• Dayton out-rebounded Akron 36-24 for the game, 17-8 in the second half.
• All three of UD’s wins this season have come against MAC teams (Ball State, Ohio, and Akron).
• The Flyers host Auburn this Wednesday, Nov. 29 at 7 p.m. ET at UD Arena.