Winter Tips: Make sure you have a Carbon Monoxide detector

Protecting against CO poisoning.
FILE: Protecting against CO poisoning (WDTN Photo)

Huber Heights, Ohio (WDTN) – Each year around this time, local fire departments respond to poison calls.

It’s because of carbon monoxide, an odorless gas that can be deadly.

A carbon monoxide detector can sense toxic fumes and is essential to have on each floor of your home and business.

CO detectors can cost between $25-$45.

The CDC says each year 400 Americans die from unintentional CO poisoning.

More than 20,000 visit the emergency room.

Tyler Mangas is a firefighter in Huber Heights. He says they get CO related calls every few days.

“A heating source that is powered by a gas or fuel. So propane heaters and gas stoves. They can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning,” said Mangas.

Sometimes people have the right equipment but they aren’t totally prepared.

“There’s an alert sound but there’s also a chirp which generally means you have a dead battery or faulty detector,” said Mangas.

Mangas says you should change batteries twice a year. Every 6 months and it’s good to replace the device every 5-years.

Mangas says this time of year is critical for fire prevention because people often are forced to turn to alternative heating methods that tend to be risky.

“We get into a lot of homes in this business. Some folks may not have the means to provide for an efficient furnace. They will turn to other sources. Like a grill in their home or opening up an oven door,” said Mangas.

Mangas says people should avoid those types of heating methods.

Space heaters are a better option but it’s important to keep the area around those space heaters clear of anything. provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s